Sunday, November 15, 2009

J.K. Scrumpy 'Orchard Gate Gold'



This is a cider, ladies and gentlemen, that speaks to you before it's even out of the cooler at the shop.

It comes in a tall (22 oz) amber bottle with a proud "USDA ORGANIC" label adorning its long neck. The description on the label as a "Farmhouse Cider" led me to think of the Apple Jack I'd had years ago back in Iowa. Or the Weston's Organic ciders I'd had in England. Both of which were strong, almost bitter brews that still smelled strongly of the apple peels the juice had been wrung from and had a kick like a Kung Fu master. In that regard, Scrumpy fairly surprised me .

The brew has a mild fizz to it, similar to Strongbow or any of the other popular brands. Whereas, however, Strongbow, K's, Blackthorn and others proudly state that they are 'Dry' ciders, Scrumpy is nothing of the sort. As soon as you pop the cap off the bottle, the sweetness fills the air like a caramel factory. It took me three tries to take the first sip out of the glass I'd poured it in for the thickness of the fruity scent. On tasting, it goes down much like it smells. I was reminded often as I drank that first glass of Apricot Jam. I honestly have no idea why Apple cider should be reminiscent of Apricot jam, but there you go.

Unlike some ciders (Woodpecker Amber, for example) which start out sweet and then seem to mild as you make your way through the pint, Scrumpy's seemed to get even sweeter as I went on, each sip drawing a pucker and a smacking of the lips. The alcohol content is not terribly great, especially compared to many organic ciders out there, a mere 6.0%, so the kick is not much to get worked up over. The sweetness of it, I fear might lead to some nasty headaches in the morning, though, and I might recommend laying in a good stock of Asprin before you get started.

I have to admit that after the first bottle, I needed to open up something else just for a break from the fruitiness so sweet that it might just give Rainbow Bright pause. This is not something to be taken on a binge, or after you drink is well and truly on. If, however, you are looking for a less alcoholic alternative to Mead, Scrumpy might well be for you. Like with mead, however, I would recommend splitting a bottle between friends and served in small glasses or tumblers. A good social drink, not to be indulged in haste, but savored over good conversation.

http://organicscrumpy.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment