Sunday, November 22, 2009

Doc's Draft Hard Pear Cider




I've not had great luck with Pear Ciders in the past, but Doc's was recommended by one of the clerks at the shop I go to here in DC. Besides, it has a cool bottle.

Doc's Draft is another of what I am coming to refer to as Craft Ciders. It has a very pale color to it, with just a hint of yellow-green, and comes in a single 22oz bottle. It is manufactured by the Warwick Valley Wine Company, a small winery in Warwick, NY with a cute and informative website. According to both the site and the bottle, Doc's Pear Cider is made with "Pressed NY state apples, fermented with champagne yeast, pear juice, and malic acid."

The champagne yeast seems to leave a heritage, as Doc's Draft seems to have much of the character of a sweet, light champagne. There is quite a lot of bubbling going on, and the cider has the characteristic sharp hit that champagne has always carried for me. The tart sweetness of the pear is definitely present as you first sip, with a dry under layer that plays as it moves back in your mouth. The sharpness is an ever-present companion to the flavor, following it through all the stages and into the aftertaste.

I had started by drinking this cider poured into a traditional pint glass and going to it. After being fairly influenced by the powerful, sharp aroma of the open glass, I tried a swig straight out of the bottle. The sharpness in the flavor was, if anything, enhanced, and I wasn't blinking away the edgy feeling wafting up my nostrils, but the more subtle colors of the cider were largely lost. In the end, I let the glass sit out for a few minutes to breathe and was rewarded with a much more enjoyable experience all around.

Although I'm sure I will still review Pear Ciders in the future, I'm still not quite convinced enough to keep a stock of my own. Doc's Draft would make a lovely half-way point between real Champagne and Ginger Ale on New Years. Likewise, for those who are looking for a heartier alternative to a Riesling, this is well worth a look. For myself, this is going to be something I may keep a single bottle around for special occasions. Next time, however, I'm going to let the bottle breathe a bit before going at it.


http://www.wvwinery.com/cider_02.html

1 comment:

  1. I've got a bottle of a different Doc's Draft sitting in my fridge, calling my name. Have you tried the Framboise? I am a huge fan of framboise lambics, so I'm hoping switching to a cider while keeping the raspberry flavor I love will make it delicious. I've only started drinking beers of any sort in the last year or two, and hard ciders often come up as suggestions for me since I'm having trouble finding beer I like if they're not super fruity.

    I'm looking forward to trying the Samuel Smith's out, especially since I love their strawberry and cherry ales. After your previous review, I'll be on the lookout for Scrumpy's, too. I see that Wicked Wines is a distributor for that, so I'll ask the Beer Lady at the Fancy Wine Store to get some in for me :)

    ReplyDelete