Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Hat for Aunt Nan - Hats that Fit by Nancy Lindberg




In previous posts, There was mention of the wonderful Goldwater Springs Alpaca yarn from a farm near Panora, Iowa. As well as some great Birchwood knitting needles from Brittany. The two have now been used to great effect to produce (drumroll) a Hat!

Normally, I'm not one that follows patterns I buy too strictly. I'll see something, like the idea, and make measurements and gauge swatches and make my own. I think watching my costume-designer-mother work when I was young might have influenced this line of thought. Still, when I'm learning a new technique, I usually pick out a pattern or book that describes it pretty well and try it until I figure it out. This pattern, one of the first I ever bought when I first started knitting, is my first outing with that method.

Purchased in a lovely yarn store in Minneapolis (the name of which I can't remember), I have used the measurements and method shown in this pattern ever since as the basis for all of the stocking caps I've knit. The pattern is intentionally versatile, with varied suggestions on cuffs, shapes, and ways to finish the tops. The real gold, however, is in the method shown to figure out the size of the hat based on measurements. This is something that very strongly falls into the category of 'Oh! That's so simple!' but not until you see it.

Ms. Lindberg is very fond of circular needles, and recommends them often in her pattern. Personally, I go for Double Pointed needles whenever I get the option, so I substituted DPs for the vast majority of the pattern. This really didn't affect the outcome at all, it's just a matter of preference. I will say, however, that using DP needles through the body of the hat means you're already using them when the pattern directs you to switch over from the circulars once you've reduced the top smaller than is practical on circular needles.

The hat I made uses a Rolled cuff, Patterned body (a simple 6 stitch Cable in 4 points equidistant around the hat), and a Round top, finished by just pulling the tail through the last 8 stitches. I kinda wish now that I'd tied it off a bit earlier to prevent the little point which has popped up in the method used. Once again, it's a matter of what look you're going after and how you want to get there.

All in all, this is a great basic pattern which has been a reliable and trustworthy basis for a great number of projects for me. As with any pattern offered by another knitter, your own style of knitting may mean that subtle changes in the pattern are required to make it work for you. Don't be afraid to do so. Some of the best stuff in the world comes from saying 'I wonder what happens if I...' For myself, I've got a hat which, although maybe just a bit later than I'd hoped to have it done, is still ready to be given or the holidays.



http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-patterns-nancy-lindberg/

No comments:

Post a Comment